Monday, April 25, 2011

Our Anzac Day, in Canberra

Just after 4am, making our way to the War Memorial in Canberra, for the Dawn Service.

An experience I will never forget.

After a hot breakkie in town, we needed some space, we needed to breathe, we needed to let the morning's experience seep into us.  

To the Botanic Gardens we fled.


I took so many photos, so so so many photos, but only a portion are here.  

They will be shared over time.

I would not dare torture you all in one hit.

The sun, sparkling it's way up into the sky.  
. . . . . . . .
Here below are some of the beautiful gifts of nature.

(Eucalyptus mannifera)

(Banksia spinulosa)

(Correa 'Canberra Bells')

(Banksia spinulosa)

(Grevillea 'flame 'n beauty')

(Banksia 'birthday candles')

(Eucalyptus 'Summer red')



(Swainsona formosa FABACEAE 'Sturts Desert Pea')

After our dose of escape we decided we would hit the Mint.  
I love this first 'part coin' I had a bit of a giggle, imagine walking around with bits of cutoff coin 'change'!

Onto Parliament House.

The view from the 'roof' of Parliament House.  Looking towards the War Memorial.

At this point I wish to apologise in advance for the next few weeks.  
I am going to be posting lots of our travels, and journalling 'stuff along the way'.  It's just what I do, I can't not do it, I wouldn't be me otherwise.  I still also have my written journal and I also have a notebook in the car.  I can't help myself, I can't just 'live it' I have to write stuff down.  Maybe there is a name for it, I don't know, but whatever it's called, then I have got it.  Perhaps 'compulsive witting stuff down syndrome'  or maybe 'what the heck are you writing now' syndrome.  

I have managed to overcome one hurdle - being able to pack up and go away without a map, without booking and planning ahead every step of the way.  I am not even stressed about it either.  It's so wonderful to be free.

I am actually very proud of being able to be 'gypsy joyce'.  I do feel rather free, and it's such a lovely feeling.  If only I could stop recording it all, wow, how much more time I would have for knitting in the car. . . . . maybe the next trip then. . . . . not this one, no, I couldn't do that, because I have started journalling now.  Besides, my boys love to go back through our journals (yes, they have journals too, as part of their homeschooling while we travel) and read where we have been and what we did and the fun we had.  We also talk about it in the car as I jot it down and it's so much fun to share the memories.  So no, not this time. . . . . 

Thank you so much for stopping by, I won't blame you if you don't visit over the next few weeks as it's all going to be a little self-centered, but I need to record this adventure.  If you do come along for the ride, thank you and welcome, please feel free to comment, I would love to share my very first ever non-planned, flying by the seat of my gypsy pants adventure with you too.

Take care of you and truly if you have never done it, then get yourself some 'gypsy pants'* and be free.  

nb. * gypsy pants are not a particular brand of pants, they are just pants or a skirt or even a dress with leggings.  They can have lace on them or frills on them, they can be spotty or have rainbows on them, they can just be a tiny piece of g-string type gypsy pants.  There can be boy gypsy pants as well as girl gypsy pants.  That's the beauty of gypsy pants, the only restrictions on them are the ones we create.

Posted by Joyce.  xx

3 comments:

TK said...

I love that you are going to share your journalling with us....I look forward to many a good read!!! TK xx

Colette said...

I'm definitely coming along for the ride. I love that blogging takes me all over the world and that I get to see it through somebody else's eyes.
I think it's wonderful that you're writing it all down too, in years to come you will be able to sit and re-read all your adventures and it will spark so many memories. Enjoy x

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Sounds rather good to me actually. And I think it's great that you write stuff down, I sometimes wish I had that inclination. Holidays are such great fun aren't they.